Monday, December 6, 2010

Bardo Pond


So recently I discovered Bardo Pond, and am awating the release of their new self-titled album, which is out this week (I think). To get me in the mood I thought I'd check out their last album, "Ticket Crystals" (although for some reason in my mind I keep calling it Ticket Castles). And its a great find, well worth checking out.

Drone rock? Sort of. Psychedelic in places, and considering that 4 of the 8 songs are over ten minutes long, kind of proggy in places (more of my love of Prog Rock will become evident as this blog evolves). Isobel Sollenberger's vocals tend to drift over the music here, not really adding much melodically (technically she's not a great singer) but certainly adds to the overall melange of sound. Probably the best demonstration of this is "Moonshine", where that phrase is repeated and looped, reversed and taken in and out of the mix many times throughout the 10.45 duration of the track.

Guitars are definitely to the fore, lovers of "broken" guitar sounds will dig this, and the beats kind of veer towards Krautrock in places but mostly keep a (yes) droning groove going on. Which I can most definitely get into. Oh by the way, the Beatles cover isn't that great (as Beatles covers tend not to be).

I intend to listen to this a hell of a lot more, but for now I'm just so happy I've found this band.

No comments:

Post a Comment