Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tame Impala


I came across this band, Tame Impala, almost by accident - I was listening to a DJ set that Andy Bell from Ride / Oasis / lots-of-bands was doing, and one of the songs from this album was one that he played. And I really dug it so I thought I'd check out the album.

They're an Australian band and are pretty big in their native country, and are beginning to make waves over here too. Prior to this album (Innerspeaker) they released an EP, which I haven't got but will be checking out soon. Musically they are classed as "psychedelic", and I can see where that comes from, but there's hardly a sitar or backwards guitar in sight - its mostly garagey / grungy guitars with rather stoned, spacey vocals, that to me, sound a lot like Wings-era Paul McCartney. In fact, some of the melodies could be described as "McCartney-esque". Standout track, so far, is "Alter Ego". So there you go.

Good band, good album, worth checking out if you like things a little more left field. Check out the song I've posted below.




No comments:

Post a Comment